Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hairy Lychee, Do you really want to eat that?



Hairy Lychee, just saying the name puts a disgusting taste in my head. Who would eat something with hair on it? Well Kandon did and I kinda tried it. It is a reddish when ripe fruit here. I have seen it many times in the store, but of course am too scared to eat it. Well Kandon asked a teacher at school for one and brought it home. All she had told him was to peel it. At first I had no idea how to do that. I mean where to start. Then with more pressure than I thought needed, it began to peel little by little. It really was like I was peeling off pieces of skin with hair on it. Now the hair isn't as soft as ours,and is pretty thick and plastic feeling, but just saying its name gives me the creeps. It's official name is rambutans, but it goes by hairy lychee more. Well it peeled and looks like a big grape. In reality it is a big seed covered in a little bit of fruit. Kandon says it tasted like a strawberry, but I just barely got my teeth on it and juice and that was enough. Could not say it tasted like anything I knew or liked. And I couldn't believe it when Kandon asked me to buy more. Hopefully he will forget about it because if I buy it. Who has to peel it? Me of couse. Well that is my exotic experience for the month. It is nice to be around so many different plants and stuff here and to see them in the store, but I guess I just am not the adventurous type. Oh well.

1 comment:

tracyp said...

yep..I was alternating between throwing up in my mouth a big and feeling like i needed to hack up a hair ball.