Hello, my name is Kilee Nowell and I turned
12 and entered young women’s in December. I was beginning to think The
bishopric had forgotten about my birthday over the holidays and that I might
not have to give a talk. But That’s what
I get for even thinking about it, because that same day I was asked and well
now here I am.
I have been assigned the topic of Baptism. It
is a big topic, my mom could probably write a 25 page talk on all the quotes
and things she finds, but I like things short and simple so I will try and
share just a few ideas on baptism and the blessings it gives us. (I think she
said something more like, but luckily it is just me and I will be short)
Carol B. Thomas said in her April 1999 conference talk titled “Spiritual Power of Our Baptism “
that
Elder Henry B. Eyring, …, remembers when he was baptized all he could think of on the way home was, “Uh-oh, the free ride is over.” (end
quote)
After baptism we are all
responsible for our own actions, every little and big thing we do. We were
taught right from wrong. We were taught to speak nicely to others, treat others
with respect, Love one another, and Choose the right. But the burden moved from
our parents to ourselves. We are responsible for the consequences of our own
actions.
Sis. Thomas went on to say,
“A story is told of the son of King Louis XVI of France. As a
young man, he was kidnapped by evil men when they dethroned the king. For six
months he was exposed to every filthy and vile thing that life had to offer,
yet he never buckled under the pressure. This puzzled his captors, and they asked
him why he had such great moral strength. His reply was simple: “I cannot do
what you ask, for I was born to be a king” (End Quote)
( Vaughn J. Featherstone,
“The King’s Son,” New Era, Nov. 1975, 35).
We were born sons and daughters of a King. By being baptized, we
have been promised the blessings of royalty and all grand things that come with
it if we endure to the end.
In Robert D. Hales
October 2000 conference talk titled, “The Covenant of Baptism” he states that,
“ At baptism we make a covenant with our Heavenly Father that we
are willing to come into His kingdom and keep His commandments from that time
forward, even though we still live in the world. We are reminded from the Book
of Mormon that our baptism is a covenant to “stand as witnesses of God [and His
kingdom] at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may
be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with
those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life” (Mosiah 18:9;
).
When we understand our baptismal covenant and the gift of the
Holy Ghost, it will change our lives and will establish our total allegiance to
the kingdom of God. When temptations come our way, if we will listen, the Holy
Ghost will remind us that we have promised to remember our Savior and obey the
commandments of God.” (End Quote)
At all times, and in all things, and in all places means
every minute of our lives. That may be frightening to hear. It means from the
moment we wake up and set our feet upon the ground, did we think to say our
morning prayers, did we treat others with respect or were we cranky because we
chose to be. It means all day at school, at home, at play. It means in front of
our friends, our neighbors, strangers, and our family. It means in our actions
and even in our thoughts and dreams. This obedience separates us from being in
the world but not of the world.
Some people think our religion is too strict. That is takes away
our free agency, but in reality it is just the opposite. It frees us to
remember who we are, To look forward knowing that if we just endure we will be
heirs to all that the Father has. It reminds us that if we do the simple things
that He has asked of us, we can be Gods and Goddesses like him, for we are made
after his image.
By choosing to be in His kingdom, we separate—not
isolate—ourselves from the world. Our dress will be modest, our thoughts pure,
our language clean. The movies and television we watch, the music we listen to,
the books, magazines, and newspapers we read will be uplifting. We will choose
friends who encourage our eternal goals, and we will treat others with
kindness. We will shun the vices of immorality, gambling, tobacco, liquor, and
illicit drugs. Our Sunday activities will reflect the commandment of God to
remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy. We will follow the example of Jesus
Christ in the way we treat others. We will live to be worthy to enter the house
of the Lord.
We will be examples “of the believers, in word, in conversation,
in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity” (1 Tim.
4:12).
By choosing
to be baptized we covenant with the Father to do as he asks of us. The
sacrament we take weekly is a reminder of our promises to keep ourselves clean
and do what we know is right. If we do this we will have proven ourselves
worthy to return to him and hear him say, “Well done my good and faithful
servant, enter thou into my kingdom.”
I would like
to bare my testimony I know the church is true and
I know that
baptism is a very important and necessary part of Heavenly Father’s plan for
us.
I know that
if we keep His commandments and Endure to the End we can live with him again
I say these
things in the name of Jesus Christ amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment