Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Kaisen Lucas Nowell

Mom was so ready to hit the done button but not ready for all the scary possibilities. We are so thankful I cooperated and everything went well. Mom could have done away with my hand trying to come out with my head bc it was painful but hey once out she forgave me.

Let me take a few minutes to write down his story.  This pregnancy was harder it seemed because I was naustious the whole time. I basically didn't throw up much the last couple of months, but was nausious and still took meds daily.  I was also huge, basically 40 lbs more than any other pregnancy. It kinda helps that i was already 20 lbs over what my normal starting weight was.  I was miserable trying to roll over at night and had the siatic nerve or joint pain that caused getting up and walking problems and unsteady. I also didn't get much of the this is a foot, this is a hand feeling like the others. I am not sure if it was bc I was so big or bc he was usuallly with his back to me I guess, or out I should say.  Anyways lets move on to the story of his big day.

On Monday, April 31st Aunt Jill had a csec and Ryker Bryan Emmertson was born. Yeah I had made it and Aiti and GPA were able to make it for that. Now I only had to hold out til a few days so they could come up. But my appointment was on Tuesday. Usually Monday, but Tuesday this time.  I went in at 10am. On my way I thought to joke with gpa and say I was pregnant, since that was my April Fool's joke for years running, but I didn't.  When I got to the appointment I had gained 3 lbs or so in a week. They checked my BP and that was normal. They then used a small sonigram to check if he was head down, and he was, but they thought he was  8lbs 10 oz and I was like ohh no that's gonna hurt coming out. Then she said I had 32 ? of water, which was too much. Normal range is 5 to 25 being high.  They checked my glucose level thinking I had gestational diabetes, but it was actually 59 and low so I ate a kudos bar and some raisins from my purse.  They said it was dangerous for me to walk around because if my water broke, I had a high risk of the umbilical cord coming out with the gush of fluids or alot of bleeding. So, they sent me over across the hall to a better sonigram and she checked things out again. Although she couldn't get a good look at your head, she put the stick down low to look and well next thing I know she said you had turned sizeways, transverse. I said, really I didn't feel a thing. I had so much water, that you were swimming.  The high risk doc came in and looked at the results too and you. She said it was best that I deliver too.

So the question was asked, do you want to deliver today.  Um well I really didn't want an April Fool's baby so no kids would tease him, but how ironic since I always told Gpa I was pregnant on that day. Plus, I was so ready. Yes Please I would like to hit that done button today.

I texted daddy and gpa and told them I was probably gonna be induced today.  Daddy was fixing to start his shift at work at Dayton Children's Hospital and well Gpa didn't believe me. He thought it was a joke.  The doc said it would be a while bc they had to do a folly and things so I let dad go to work. Uncle Bryan texted asking if I was pranking Grumpa, so, I sent him a pic of me in a gown in a hospital bed. His response was, well you doc husband does have access to those things.  Funny boys. Gpa tried to find a flight after he realized I wasn't joking, then he took off in his truck around 2pm I think. He was coming to be with you.

Daddy on the otherhand had to finish half his shift so he wouldn't have to make it up.  So I was alone for the folly bulb that stretched me from 2 to 4.  I was alone when they did another ultrasound and found that you were more breach but not quite. You were all scrunched up on my right side and somehow Dr. Lo was saying there was you head and right next to it was your weee weee. Nobody knows how you were scrunched, but there it was side by side or so.  Anyways, it was time to do a dangerous turning. They explained and had me sign papers that said turning could cause your heart rate to drop and if so I would be rushed into an emergency csec and bc of the size of the uterus and excess of water, there would be a extra high risk of excessive bleeding. So there I was alone since dad was still at work, but i wasn't worried, I felt calm. It didn't hurt, she just gently massaged in a circle a few times and there you were she said. You fully cooperated. Thanks. She then said, that was her first successful turn. Not something I wanted to hear, but thanks for saying it after she turned you. I then had to wear a compression belt to hold you in place, sit on my monitor straps bc they wouldn't stay in place, and wait. All that work had made me stretch to a 5. 

Dad finally arrived after stopping at home for a few things. He left the boys, Kilee was at a Show
Choir thing. Plus with all the unknown dangers this time we decided not to bring them, plus it would be after midnight and not a place for them to sleep.

Then it was time to break my water. The doc added extra pads bc we knew I had so much water and she had to drain alot of it. She left her hand there to hold his head up and let the water keep draining out. It kept coming and coming. I saw the belly shrink right before my eyes. It was like I had a huge belly of water, and then I had a small belly with a baby in it I could finally see. The doc lifted up the pads and couldn't believe how much they weighed. I felt them and estimated 8 lbs ha. I'm sure it wasn't that much but it felt like it. So then i was a 6.

We called in the Anestesiologist who happened to be Bro. Huff from church. We discussed an epi and I said I wanted one, but was going to wait a little bit bc I'm sure we have time and the contractions are just starting to get bad. So he and dad talked a bit, while I suffered through contractions. I then said I'm leaking and need more pads, its running down my leg. Dad of course said its ok. You are ok and kept talking. I said it again and they were like ok, we know you are leaking the pads will get it. I then said on the next contraction, It is running down my leg and past my foot and is now pouring onto the floor. That is when he looked and sure enough I was leaking onto the floor and got more pads.

I told daddy I wanted to be a seahorse and trade places with him.


I also asked how close were the contractions. Dad said about a minute and a half. I thought, I suffered, I said I want an epi now. I seriously didn't think it was going to be so hard so fast, but hey. They kept coming and well I guess I was a 7 so good to go.

It wasn't fun contracting while getting an epi and I was so fat, I couldn't really put head on dad's shoulder, but breathed away from his face incase I had bad breath. ha.

It was better for a short bit, but the initial epi wore off and left the left side still getting contractions, so dad and i pushed it often. Finally they went away but didn't take the bottom pressure away, so no real releif, but help indeed. The ladies came in and gave me a beanie ball to put btween my legs as I was on my side. It was suppose to open me up and move things along. Open me up for more pain pressure it did. Weird as it was it brought me to 8.

We kept texting Gpa telling him to not drive all the way and fall asleep. He wouldn't make it anyways, but he kept driving. He wanted to be here for you and me. If he had made it though he probably would haven't liked my screaming.

After mustering through another hour or two, the pressure changed to the hard bathroom feeling to push and I knew it was time for you to come.  I told dad I was all done and wanted to hit the done button. Go and get them. I was done, done, done with being pregnant.

They came in and checked and sure enough I was ready. They gowned and gloved up and called everyone in. There were two nurses for me, a resident delivering you, the doctor, and daddy. There was also the pediatrician for you and a nurse, and tech or two for him. Crazy what a teaching hospital has in the room. I'm use to a doc and a nurse or two. Oh well. By that point I just wanted to push you out. I gave a few more pushes, screamed, told them to get you out, bc they were just watching. Ha what was happening was I thought the head was out and it wasn't. Plus you decided to stick your hand and forarm up by your face and wave to everyone, which was why mommy wasn't having as much fun. Fortunately you pulled your arm back in so they didn't have to deliver you and possibly have shoulder problems. After that, you popped out and daddy put you on my chest. They let time pass and blood go from placenta to you, instead of cutting right away. Daddy even asked why they aren't cutting. Meanwhile, I say He's peeing on me, bc you were leaking fluids. Daddy laughed.
And everyone else. They finally took you over to the warmer and checked you out.

You weighed 7 lbs 12oz just what one nurse guessed and 2 oz more than the sonogram said the day before. Kilee had texted me that I had 45 min to be an April Fools baby and I said I wasn't going to make it but wanted to be done.  You came out at 1:20 am on April 2nd.

Daddy stayed a bit and then went home, stopping at store first. He changed the sheets on bed for Gpa and noticed that there was a truck in the driveway. He went out and knocked on Gpa's window bc he was sleeping in his truck at 4am or so. Silly Gpa. He came in, Bella barked, and they all slept. Gpa then helped get everyone ready to come see you around 10:45 am or so. Mommy had gotten aboout 30 min and 30 min of sleep that night. Ohh well, between the beeping of other peoples monitors, the noisy nurse change station, and the construction going on, she didn't sleep much for a while.

We love your story and glad you are here. We look forward to more adventures Kaisen.


No comments: